My wife and I just finished watching "Brand Upon the Brain". This is a very unusual movie in that it is silent. The movies is shot in black and white and was narrated by actress Isabella Rossellini. Here is a short synopsis of the film provided by Wikipedia.
Together with his teenage sister and a horde of orphans, young Guy Maddin lazes away his under-stimulated youth on the mysterious island he will someday inherit. In the lighthouse orphanage in which they all live, their every move is watched over by their overbearing and tyrannical mother while their father, a scientist and inventor, works away secretively in the basement.
When new adoptive parents discover mysterious head wounds on their children, teen detectives Wendy and Chance Hale - brother and sister sleuths known as the "Lightbulb Kids" - visit the island to launch an investigation. Guy is weak-kneed as he falls for Wendy, while Sis is flushed with love for Chance, a love which must be kept from Mother at all costs. As the investigation progresses, the kids are led into the darkest regions of revelation and repression as the terrible secrets of Guy's family are revealed.
I watched the whole movie, my wife was out of there in about 5 minutes. I would say that it was a very interesting movie and it drew me in as the movie unfolded. On the other hand, I could also see that it could be a hard watch for anyone who is not a knuckleheaded movie fan like myself. But I think that you should all give it a try and let me know what you thought.
3 comments:
Any talking animals? 'Cause that's a necessity for me.
Lodo now you are scaring me. So a Disney fan are ya.
If it doesn't have a talking animal I don't see it.
Post a Comment