Monday, May 31, 2010

Hoarders.... They Like Their Crap

What could worst than the 1 800 Got Junk trucks pull up outside of your home. Well the people on the A & E program "Hoarders" know, that's for sure. Yesterday, for most of the day, my wife and I watched a marathon showing of this show. Yesterday was a beautiful day and I spent a good amount of it in front of the TV watching these people suffer through this debilitating disorder.

This program is so compelling to watch. You feel sorry for these people who have this problem of hording everything, but on the other hand I felt Iwanted to smack them around and say "Snap out of it." But you soon realize that this is no simple problem. Some of these people are willing to give up their relationships with husband, friends and children rather then give up their things.

I found that this program was so compelling that I just had to keep watching these people go through this torture of keeping and holding onto, in some cases, garbage, junk and even their bowel movements. Give the show a try, you might like it.

They also, on A&E, have a show that looks good as well. It's about people with obsessive compulsive disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder.

4 comments:

Spencer Troxell said...

I heard about this on NPR. It sounds interesting.

They interviewed a lady who wouldn't throw away yogurt cups because she thought they would feel rejected.

An interesting phenomenon.

Willie Y said...

It was very interesting and very disturbing at the same time. A couple of people that they featured had very good jobs and were educated.

Spencer Troxell said...

I sympathize with them to a certain extent. For awhile, I would say between the ages of 10 and maybe 18, I would save mementos from random events and instill them with the significance of whatever moment I was memorializing. Even now the thought of throwing away a ticket stub from a night out with my wife or a rock that one of my kids gave me makes me feel a little regretful.

I think there's a little bit of everything in every one of us. It's all a matter of degrees.

Lodo Grdzak said...

Well, as a blogger who's never made a dime from the countless hours I've put into it; who's never seen his readership grow by one reader; and (despite these facts) has no plans to quit, I guess I can relate to the mind-set behind hoarding (though I have to admit I've never seen the show).