Thursday, June 3, 2010

Marsha and Mary Spin

Yesterday I ran spin class and the theme was the birthdays of Mary, a regular and Marsha, who had recently graduated from interloper to regular. What I tried to do was find music with both of their names in title e or the song. Well I want to tell you that finding tunes with Mary in was no problem at all, but Marsha was a different story. While I was having no problems finding songs like Hendrix's "The Wind Cries Mary", CCR's "Proud Mary and the Association's "Along Comes Mary", I could not find one song with Marsha in it.

So while I was in this quest to find these songs, I was thinking there also was not a single song with my given name of Wilfred in it. As a matter of fact I have met very few people with the name Wilfred. That got me thinking that there are a lot of names that you never see any longer like Myrtle, Archibald, Benedict, Cecil, Reginald, Winston and Gaylord. Names fall in and out of favor but, some names just disappear, like Wilfred. Oh well.

Back to spin class. So I kept looking and looking for something with the name Marsha in it. That's when my wife came up with the suggestion that maybe there was a song from the Brady Bunch show, who had a character named Marsha. No luck, so I used one of the Brady Bunch songs. I know it was a reach, but I was desperate.

This is the song that I used and now it is on my IPod. How embarassing.



2 comments:

Spencer Troxell said...

Wilfred is a good name. Wilfred Owen was one of the best and most interesting poets mankind has made. If you don't know him already, he's worth looking up. He's got a unique story, too.

ERSG said...

The Brady Bunch... You kill me. Did you really go that low? Well, there's something to be said for trying to please people and giving them something to talk/ blog about.

I commend you on your Birthday mix for Mary. I know how long those take to make. That's why it's been a while since I've done one. Glad to see that you've taken over. Now I can get ready to retire.