Friday, July 2, 2010

Fireworks and the Kids

Well we are in New Jersey and one of the highlights for last night was that we all, my brother, sister-in-law,niece and wife were off to Sewaren for the wonderful fireworks. I had not been to any fire works for a couple of years. The last couple that were held in Maine,it had either been raining or we just decided not to go. The last one we attended we were all a little disappointed as all it consisted of was someone lighting a sparkler and throwing in the air while setting off one firecracker. It was really underwhelming.

My brother and sister-in-law have friends, that have friends, that have a house right across from where they launch the fireworks, and invited us all to come down and watch the show. And what a show it was, it was spectacular. Like I said I had not seen any fireworks in a while and this was really something. What they do with the exploding displays of light and color, in this show, was just magic. It just took your breath away. After the finale the crowds watching exploded into applause and a rousing cheer.

But the real highlight for me was watching these two kids, about 9 and 10 years old, that were standing on their fathers pickup truck right in front of us. I had a feeling that this was going to be a better show than the fireworks. Before the show started, someone played the national anthem followed by America the Beautiful on the trumpet. During this the father of these two scamps, started yelling "rebel yell" a couple of times. My wife and I looked at each other and said at the same time "Asshole".

For most of the time we were their we also watched this assholes two kids walk and jump all over their fathers truck. And when the fire works started, the spectacular ones I was telling you about, these two little scamps could care less. I don't think they looked up once to see any of it. Both kids were involved in a symphony of "Look at me. Am I not the most annoying kids in the world". A chip off the old block me thinks. Pre-assholes or assholes in training if you will. And just when I thought they couldn't get more annoying someone hands these two, the horns that they hand out at New Years eve celebrations. You know the ones with the plastic tips and are usually wrapped in this brightly colored paper. Yea those.

Well the magic from these two just kept ratcheting up with the introduction of these horns. These two blew this horns from the time they got them till the show was over. One of these kids even said that she was getting dizzy from blowing it for to long. My wife and I once again said "good'.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention one more little annoying thing on of these kids were doing. One of them was yelling for it seemed about 20 minutes straight, "Happy 2nd of July". Where are our military academy's, where are our monastery's that we can send this little cretins off till they are 30 years old. Where are these places.

Like I always say "I love kids, preferably french fried".

1 comment:

Spencer Troxell said...

"Happy 2nd of July!"

ha ha. I almost spewed coffee on that one.