Monday, August 3, 2009

Generation Gap

On Saturday my wife and I were invited to our friends home for a get together. These friends of ours have this giant party/barbecue every year, and have friends from all over come and party for 3 days. It was a very good time as every one that I met and talked too was very nice.

Our friends are about 15 or 20 years younger then we are, and most of their friends are that young as well. At one point there was this discussion of celebrities that we have met. One women had vacationed somewhere and had met Goldie Hawn and her daughter Kate Hudson. Bye the way,Goldie and Kate, are very nice and down to earth. Well any who everyone was chiming in about celebrities that they had met,so your pal not wanting to be left our, I said that I had once met Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. Well at that point 2 of the women started singing this song that was on Sesame Street or the old children's show the Electric Company about mother of invention. It took me another 5 minutes to explain who the Mothers were. It was like I said that I met Al Jolson or Buster Keaton. Someone finally chimed in and said that they love Zappa and that their parent had been fans. I was waiting for someone to say "Did you ever party with Methuselah." Well it was just another indication that I am on the downside of life. I finally impressed the group by saying that I party every weekend with Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers. Wooho, par-tee down.

4 comments:

Spencer Troxell said...

It's really inexcusable that your friends didn't know who Frank Zappa was. Something being 'Beyond your time' doesn't give you a pass not to know about it, especially if it's something culturally significant, like Frank Zappa.

We've raised a narcissistic generation. We'll pay for it.

Rockie and Sax said...

The next time you're at that party, you might want to drop a little zinger to the younger set. They might look at your more strangely (or bow in awe) when you tell them you carried the luggage for the "Strawberry Alarm Clock" and partied with them in their hotel room.

Ahhhh the good old days!

Willie Y said...

I can hear it now "What is a Strawberry Alarm Clock." And I even forgot to bring up the fact that I had seen the band "Vanilla Fudge" in their underware.

And yes Spencer I was really taken back by the fact that they did not know Frank Zappa or even heard of the Mothers of Invention. These kids now a days don't know nutt'in.

Lodo Grdzak said...

America's going downhill fast. But who knows, maybe Zappa will be resurrected on the next edition of Guitar Hero. Lord help us all!