Wednesday, September 9, 2009

US OPEN

When I first started to take up tennis, the pros were using wood rackets and dressing in white. It was great tennis, with very little emotions shown on the court. Go forward to today and take a look at the US Open and you see what pro tennis has developed into. In my opinion you can not get any more passion and athleticism then the players today. Last night I watched the match between Rafael Nadal and Gael Monfils. and it was one of the best matches of the week. It had every thing, passion, great play that lasted for over two hours, with these two men just pounding the ball back and forth trying to find that opening that would win the point. And even a man getting on the court, after the match, and giving Nadal a kiss.

Then there is Melanie Oudin a 17 year old qualifier who is beating every seeded player she has faced, is a great story. Then there is Kim Clijsters, who left tennis for a year to have a child, who is making her way through her draw and is now in the semi finials against the best women player, Serena Williams.

The US Open is one of the best sporting events of the year. So do your self a favor and take a look see.

Your pal, if I had keep up my training for a tennis career, could have played at the Open, that is if I did not suck at it.

6 comments:

Jack said...

Willie

Professional tennis requires a unique skill set. To be competitive you need to find a sport that matches your personal skill set. Suggestions could include:

1. Spinning golf/tennis. (Golf or tennis on a stationary bike)

2. Cat whispering political commentaries. (Getting cats to give up their far out political points of view.)

3. Competitive Maine tours. (Guiding out-of-town guests arround your part of Maine.)

I'm sure you get the idea.

Willie Y said...

Thanks Jack. I was thinking maybe a tennis court on a trailer being pulled by 20 or 30 trained cats while I debunked the right wing lies,from a statonary bike, while hitting a bucket of golf balls, to all the people on my Maine tour. I am going down to my secret laboratory and work on it right now.

Spencer Troxell said...

I suck at tennis, but it's still fun.

Women's tennis is one of the only sports that I can watch on T.V.

The other sport that I can watch on T.V. is competitive ironing.

Willie Y said...

Spencer what channel is that on?

Spencer Troxell said...

Competitive Ironing? I don't know if it's on a regular station. I was watching a show on some cable channel about the weirdest sports, and they did a little segment on competitive ironing. It was two men standing on a stage in well pressed suits (of course) with an ironing board, a blazing hot iron, and identically wrinkled shirts. It was a French show, and everyone was really excited. Those guys actually really kicked ass, they seemed to have mad technique when it came to ironing. There was a timer & everything, and the guy who won kind of cavalierly tossed the shirt into the audience after finished to some thrilled fan. Pretty awesome.

Oh, and a comparison to tennis: The two competitors shook hands respectfully after the match.

I'm sure there's video of this online somewhere.

Evil Republican Spin Goddess said...

Wow, Willie sounds like you're on some wacky political parade float. I'd love to see that one come to life. I sling some juicy RED ripe REPUBLICAN tomatoes back at your golf balls.